How to Reduce Lag in MMM

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
Pika Luigi

How to Reduce Lag in MMM

Post by Pika Luigi » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 am

I wanted to find a list of factors that affect lag in levels for my current project. After searching, I found that no one has made such a list, and while there have been quite a few posts about it over the course of the forums, I decided to make a definitive list of all the factors that affect lag and extend loading times.

1. Large Level Size

A given. The larger the amount of rooms in a level, the more the level will lag, especially on lower end computers.

2. Animated Tiles and Backgrounds

Many a time, it has been told that animated backgrounds, such as the likes of Metal Man's Background and the Animated Flash Man tiles. Especially when building larger levels, these create a lot of lag.

3. Enemy Count

Simply put, the more enemies in room, the more the game can lag. Once again, this goes hand in hand with larger level sizes.

4. Larger Rooms

Now, this one is not as exactly tested as the other ones so far, but it seems to be a general consensus, and it makes sense in any case. Many connected screens stringed together seems to cause the game to lag and increase loading times, especially when there are multiple strings.

5. Many Global Elements

There are different objects in the game that load globally, and having many of them in a level forces the engine to load them all at once, causing lag as a result. Often times, these elements slowly stack up over time when building a stage, so being mindful of them is important. Some examples of Global Elements are Footholders and Yoku Blocks.

6. Clumped Rooms

This is my least definite point I've found, but it's been stated to have worked quite a few times. Positioning rooms apart from each other when building a level seems to reduce lag while playing. The game seems to load the rooms around the player, so moving the pieces of the stage apart and connecting them with teleporters reduces lag.

These are definitely not all the factors, as I don't know all the ways the game can lag, and I've probably forgotten a few as well, so please feel free to let me know the things I left off the list so I can add them :D
I'm-a Pika Luigi!

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Re: How to Reduce Lag in MMM

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:27 am

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:28 pm
Very helpful insight. Maybe this topic should be pinned?
Done.
I am currently moderating the three main community platforms.