Tornado Blow can't beat Bosses

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
Donald the Potholer

Tornado Blow can't beat Bosses

Post by Donald the Potholer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:24 am

I was making a Boss Rush this weekend; it's on my offline computer and I hope to be able to post it sometime in July. I had 2 annoyances crop up over the course. One of which technically qualifies as a bug and has been reported as such.

The other has to do with 1 of the robot master weapons: specifically Tornado Blow. Long Story Short to avoid spoilers, Tornado Blow expends 7 energy units per use, limiting it to 4 shots. When set to Primary Weakness, it only does 4 damage. 4x4=16<28. Therefore, Tornado Blow can't defeat bosses, at least not on its own; I've had to set a secondary weakness on the Robot Master intended for the Tornado Blow to compensate.

I then did some weapons research, and I found that Time Slow does 8 points of damage per 4-point charge in a single hit, albeit only as a Primary Weakness. (Crash Bomb and Rain Flush also do 8 points of damage per 4-point shot, but that's over 2 hits of 4 damage each; Thunder Wool can get up to 3 hits in on a single shot.)

I'm not reporting this as a bug because I believe that what's happening with Tornado Blow is normal operation, albeit with an unfortunate blind spot. Could something be done about this situation, or is Tornado Blow relegated to the same class as the Super Arm as far as bosses are concerned? I would rather see a damage increase instead of reduced energy usage, since it uses 7 units in MM9 as well.
Not all that active...

Doc Robot 6 Stages: Blizzard: 3-Style As Intended;Flame

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Tornado Blow can't beat Bosses

Post by Royalguard » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Donald the Potholer wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:24 am
I was making a Boss Rush this weekend; it's on my offline computer and I hope to be able to post it sometime in July. I had 2 annoyances crop up over the course. One of which technically qualifies as a bug and has been reported as such.

The other has to do with 1 of the robot master weapons: specifically Tornado Blow. Long Story Short to avoid spoilers, Tornado Blow expends 7 energy units per use, limiting it to 4 shots. When set to Primary Weakness, it only does 4 damage. 4x4=16<28. Therefore, Tornado Blow can't defeat bosses, at least not on its own; I've had to set a secondary weakness on the Robot Master intended for the Tornado Blow to compensate.

I then did some weapons research, and I found that Time Slow does 8 points of damage per 4-point charge in a single hit, albeit only as a Primary Weakness. (Crash Bomb and Rain Flush also do 8 points of damage per 4-point shot, but that's over 2 hits of 4 damage each; Thunder Wool can get up to 3 hits in on a single shot.)

I'm not reporting this as a bug because I believe that what's happening with Tornado Blow is normal operation, albeit with an unfortunate blind spot. Could something be done about this situation, or is Tornado Blow relegated to the same class as the Super Arm as far as bosses are concerned? I would rather see a damage increase instead of reduced energy usage, since it uses 7 units in MM9 as well.
It should be noted that the soon to be added weapon Time Stopper will likely have the same issue of not being able to defeat bosses on its own with a single full bar of ammo. It has been implied that if the weapon is set as a boss weakness, it can only do damage equal to half of the boss' max HP. This is accurate to source material Mega Man 2 Hard Mode / Rockman 2.

I'd assume this issue with Tornado Blow is probably also accurate to source material as well.

LeonardMan

Re: Tornado Blow can't beat Bosses

Post by LeonardMan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:31 pm
I'd assume this issue with Tornado Blow is probably also accurate to source material as well.
You assume correctly. Tornado Blow does not have enough ammo to fully kill Magma Man, and Astro Crush does not have enough ammo to fully kill Aqua Man. It's supposed to be that way. The screen-nukes' high power and infinite range are balanced out by the low ammo count.