Resort Island Light City (building a sandbox)

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
AppendixOfTheCards

Resort Island Light City (building a sandbox)

Post by AppendixOfTheCards » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Hello! Longtime Mega Man fan and abrasive personality here. I've had the desire to build a sandbox stage for some time and with 1.5 nearing its dawn it is the right time to source some ideas and feedback.

What I am envisioning is a large stage filled with various activities combined with artistic stage design. Exploration and experience will be the primary motivators rather than combat (combat will not be forsaken but relegated to select sections and uses), collection will enhance the world rather than expand it (abilities will make some sections better rather than open new one), and there will be no temporal agenda (you're not trying to beat/win/clear the stage). A true sandbox that the player can enter and exit at their leisure to inhabit a world adjacent to their own.

Now in terms of how I envision this sandbox metaphorically is a destination resort (like Disney or other such fantasylands) that in some way offers a taste of all the little things MMM is capable of. You will spend your time exploring different parts of the island trying all the fun things available. As such, technical sophistication, austere design, and high replayability are the main design commandments.

Within this Resort there are a number of things to do. For instance, oil surfing at the beach or going diving in a coral reef. The amusement park with various types of autocontraptions. Jet adapter basejumping. A shooting gallery. A maze. So on. Even some sections where there is no point but to see how stage construction can be innovative and artistic.

Now, the overall goal is twofold. One, to provide a stage that is fun and replayable. Two, to provide mini lessons on stage design and concepts that a player can take inspiration from. If a player doesn't have much of an idea how to make a Rush Jet segment, they will after playing the Rush Jet segment in the stage, etc.

So, what I am looking for is a combination of good reference materials (preexisting MMM stages), ideas for activities/sections to be included in the stage, and feedback on how you might handle the presentation of such a concept yourself.

Thank you so much for finishing and I look forward to your words!

supersmashgaming
Discord: supersmashgaming#0082

Re: Resort Island Light City (building a sandbox)

Post by supersmashgaming » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:50 pm

AppendixOfTheCards wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:48 pm
Hello! Longtime Mega Man fan and abrasive personality here. I've had the desire to build a sandbox stage for some time and with 1.5 nearing its dawn it is the right time to source some ideas and feedback.

What I am envisioning is a large stage filled with various activities combined with artistic stage design. Exploration and experience will be the primary motivators rather than combat (combat will not be forsaken but relegated to select sections and uses), collection will enhance the world rather than expand it (abilities will make some sections better rather than open new one), and there will be no temporal agenda (you're not trying to beat/win/clear the stage). A true sandbox that the player can enter and exit at their leisure to inhabit a world adjacent to their own.

Now in terms of how I envision this sandbox metaphorically is a destination resort (like Disney or other such fantasylands) that in some way offers a taste of all the little things MMM is capable of. You will spend your time exploring different parts of the island trying all the fun things available. As such, technical sophistication, austere design, and high replayability are the main design commandments.

Within this Resort there are a number of things to do. For instance, oil surfing at the beach or going diving in a coral reef. The amusement park with various types of autocontraptions. Jet adapter basejumping. A shooting gallery. A maze. So on. Even some sections where there is no point but to see how stage construction can be innovative and artistic.

Now, the overall goal is twofold. One, to provide a stage that is fun and replayable. Two, to provide mini lessons on stage design and concepts that a player can take inspiration from. If a player doesn't have much of an idea how to make a Rush Jet segment, they will after playing the Rush Jet segment in the stage, etc.

So, what I am looking for is a combination of good reference materials (preexisting MMM stages), ideas for activities/sections to be included in the stage, and feedback on how you might handle the presentation of such a concept yourself.

Thank you so much for finishing and I look forward to your words!
I think this goes in feedback and suggestion.
Find all keys REMAKE Original By: Bily195 ID: 232686
Wily's Underground Factory ID: 279264
Shade Man Waterfall ID: 280308
Mega Man NETA 1-2 ID: 306709

New Discord Server

AppendixOfTheCards

Post by AppendixOfTheCards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Feedback & Suggestions is aimed at the game itself, this is a level/stage I am designing which is why I put this here.

supersmashgaming

Post by supersmashgaming » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:57 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:14 pm
Feedback & Suggestions is aimed at the game itself, this is a level/stage I am designing which is why I put this here.
Oh my bad.
Also I like the sound of this idea.

New Discord Server

AppendixOfTheCards

Post by AppendixOfTheCards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 pm

supersmashgaming wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:57 pm
Oh my bad.
Thank you I'm happy to hear that this idea has appeal! Do you have any specific ideas/recommendations/other feedback to ? Or is there something I could explain more indepth for you? Any dialogue would be great to help build the best and most diverse stage possible.

supersmashgaming

Post by supersmashgaming » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:19 pm
supersmashgaming wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:57 pm
Oh my bad.
Thank you I'm happy to hear that this idea has appeal! Do you have any specific ideas/recommendations/other feedback to ? Or is there something I could explain more indepth for you? Any dialogue would be great to help build the best and most diverse stage possible.
So basically the theme of this it some kind of resort spot.

Also if I had any ideas I would say have multiple tasks so the layer dose not get board with the same challenge but I do know MMM has limits like no NPCs.

New Discord Server

AppendixOfTheCards

Post by AppendixOfTheCards » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm

supersmashgaming wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Also if I had any ideas I would say have multiple tasks so the layer dose not get board with the same challenge but I do know MMM has limits like no NPCs.
Exactly. My primary inspirations are Wii Sports Resort and the Grand Theft Auto series. I want to create something that both stresses replayability and allows for a highly nonlinear experience of the stage. Think Mega Man has been dropped into his universes version of Liberty City. How would that look?

supersmashgaming

Post by supersmashgaming » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:27 pm

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 pm
supersmashgaming wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Exactly. My primary inspirations are Wii Sports Resort and the Grand Theft Auto series. I want to create something that both stresses replayability and allows for a highly nonlinear experience of the stage. Think Mega Man has been dropped into his universes version of Liberty City. How would that look?
I would say pretty big with a lot of buildings and familiar robot master. Also some kind of wily fortress located somewhere.

New Discord Server