Let’s improve the Doc Robots

General discussion of Mega Man Maker

Moderator: Challenge coordinator

pikachris
Discord: Lunar Chris #9442

Let’s improve the Doc Robots

Post by pikachris » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am

Ever since I played MEGA MAN 3, the one thing that made it my least favorite Mega Man game was the Doc Robot stages due to the absurd difficulty spike and of course the fights themselves were horrifically abysmal. At the very least, I’ve been thinking abour how they could’ve been better if they weren’t duplicates of MEGA MAN 2’s Robot Masters. Say what you will about them, but I think there are ways to make the Doc Robots completely different in that they have their own moveset and attacks, even if it goes against the Mega Man canon. Just imagine the possibilities.

Now to ask the question:
How would you make the Doc Robots different from their MM3 counterparts?
NOTE: Please refer to me as Lunar Chris since I can't change my god damn name.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Let’s improve the Doc Robots

Post by Royalguard » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm

pikachris wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:31 am
Now to ask the question:
How would you make the Doc Robots different from their MM3 counterparts?
Have the Doc Robots use the Player's versions of the MM2 weapons, not the Robot Master's versions of the MM2 weapons.

Example: Doc Heat would use the "Charge Shot" Atomic Fire the player would normally use in MM2, not shooting flame pillars and dashing across the room as a fireball like how Heat Man uses it.

Granted, this would require making new AIs for all 8 variants of Doc Robot.
Royalguard wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm
Unpopular Opinion:
I think Shadow Man is one of the most fun, satisfying, and well designed bosses in the entire Mega Man series.

V1ralGam3r
Discord: #1787

Post by V1ralGam3r » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Frankly, I'd have liked if they actually felt worthwhile to beat. As far as the game alone goes, you beat the eight main RMs and then bam! Fuck off and bully this random robot until he goes home, then follow him home and beat up his dad.

While probably infeasable on the original hardware, it would have been nice if each RM stage had its own Doc Robot, but you could also just go to Wily's fortress off the bat. Taking on Doc Robots would actually reward the player with the option to replace the corresponding MM3 weapon with the (properly balanced) MM2 weapon that Doc used.
Knight needs caffeine badly.

Yoshi2018

Post by Yoshi2018 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm

Lower their collision damage.
Shrink their hitboxes.
Done.
Bernie Sanders's account.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm

V1ralGam3r wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:13 pm
While probably infeasable on the original hardware, it would have been nice if each RM stage had its own Doc Robot
I read that Keiji Inafune intended to have a Doc Robot in all 8 stages (Air Man in Snake Man's stage, hence the section in the clouds, Wood Man in Top Man's stage, hence why it's a greenhouse, Quick Man in Magnet Man's stage, and for some odd reason they'd flood Hard Man's stage for Bubble Man) but the reason they didn't do it is because the development schedule was so rushed and they had to release the game unfinished.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Neo Cutman

Post by Neo Cutman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Have the Doc Robots use the Player's versions of the MM2 weapons, not the Robot Master's versions of the MM2 weapons.

Example: Doc Heat would use the "Charge Shot" Atomic Fire the player would normally use in MM2, not shooting flame pillars and dashing across the room as a fireball like how Heat Man uses it.

Granted, this would require making new AIs for all 8 variants of Doc Robot.
in my opinion this would be better for the Copy Robot

Neo Cutman

Post by Neo Cutman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm

In my opnion I think Doc Robot needs to be a mix of Robot Masters. A boss with original powers is a normal robot master.

I would suggest two ways for Doc Robot
the first that i think is easier to program is that Doc Robot simulates two or three Robot Masters selected by the creator.
For example, Crashman until losing half health, then would have the behavior of Pharaoh man.

the other suggestion that seems much more difficult to program would be to have certain powers of each robot masters to use together, for example he can use the leaf shield + magnet missile in the same way that Robot Master uses.
Last edited by Neo Cutman on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearminer
Discord: nuclearminer#4713

Post by Nuclearminer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 pm

We could have him using multiple weapons at once for new and exciting patterns
idk what im doing anymore
1.5 Counter: E/10

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:31 pm

I would distribute the Doc Robots across all 8 stages and have each one use the AI of a Robot Master from Mega Man and Mega Man 2.
  • Snake Man's stage has Time Man and Air Man.
  • Spark Man's stage has Elec Man and Metal Man.
  • Hard Man's stage has Guts Man and Crash Man.
  • Gemini Man's stage has Ice Man and Flash Man.
  • Magnet Man's stage has Bomb Man and Quick Man.
  • Shadow Man's stage has Fire Man and Heat Man.
  • Top Man's stage has Cut Man and Wood Man.
  • Needle Man's stage has Oil Man and Bubble Man.

Jevedor

Post by Jevedor » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 am

Neo Cutman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm
In my opnion I think Doc Robot needs to be a mix of Robot Masters. A boss with original powers is a normal robot master.

the first that i think is easier to program is that Doc Robot simulates two or three Robot Masters selected by the creator.
For example, Clashman until losing half health, then would have the behavior of Pharaoh man.

the other suggestion that seems much more difficult to program would be to have certain powers of each robot masters to use together, for example he can use the leaf shield + magnet missile in the same way that Robot Master uses.
Hypothetically if the the code for each robot master was contained in thier own class it could probably be possoble to just creat an array of references to shuffle over based on some trigger. Maybe a timer or something or health.

I think it would be pretty neat to just have him have a settings gear that selects 2 or 3 RMs to shuffle through. That would create a neat scenerio if say you were to mix Charge man and Crash Man. Suddenly the two relatively easy patterns to exploit would actually compliment each other and make a very dangerous foe.

Neo Cutman

Post by Neo Cutman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 am

Jevedor wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:05 am
Neo Cutman wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:37 pm

For example, Clashman until losing half health, then would have the behavior of Pharaoh man.

Hypothetically if the the code for each robot master was contained in thier own class it could probably be possoble to just creat an array of references to shuffle over based on some trigger. Maybe a timer or something or health.

I think it would be pretty neat to just have him have a settings gear that selects 2 or 3 RMs to shuffle through. That would create a neat scenerio if say you were to mix Charge man and Crash Man. Suddenly the two relatively easy patterns to exploit would actually compliment each other and make a very dangerous foe.
Great idea, maybe we could have the option to change RM behavior using a timer (example: 3 to 15 seconds), a few seconds for each RM would be easier to program and it's almost the same as combining special weapons from each robot master