Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
D-Man

Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Post by D-Man » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

In an attempt to understand how to utilize this game's weapons to their fullest extent, I've decided to start a series of posts analyzing each of them in depth. If it goes well, I plan to do this once a week.

Rolling Cutter - From MM1
Capacity: 28 Power: 2(per hit) Type: Throwing / Boomerang

Obtained from Cut Man, the Rolling Cutter is most likely the first special weapon the player obtains in its game. It allows the player to hurl a scissor-shaped blade in an arc 6 tiles forward, and reaches higher than the standard Buster. The Cutter deals damage both when going out as well as when it comes back, potentially leading to high damage output, though this is more effective on larger enemies. Additionally, it can destroy Octo Batteries and the otherwise indestructible Spines in one hit, a trait it shares with Thunder Beam and Fire Storm.
However, the weapon is not without it's flaws. The Cutter travels slower than the Buster, and only one can be on the screen at a time. Furthermore, firing it while on the ground stops the player briefly, due to being a throwing weapon.

In MMM, the Rolling Cutter is mostly unchanged, though there is now some applicability for puzzles due to the inclusion of Weapon Blocks and new character abilities. Combined with either sliding or dashing, players can momentarily outrun their Cutter, leading it into tight spaces its normal firing trajectory cannot reach. A single Cutter can destroy multple Dust Blocks, too.
Overall, I would consider this a good weapon, and a decent choice for your arsenal if things like Metal Blade aren't cutting it for you.
Last edited by D-Man on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Waiting for King Knight and The Delicious Last Course
Levels:
Darkness Crypt - Megaman (339203)
Excitement Emporium - Megaman (339627)
Trinitro Towers - Megaman (344128)
Cascade Pipeway - Megaman (349271)
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

TheCreativeEye
Discord: TheCreativeEye#0160

Re: Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Post by TheCreativeEye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I like weapon analysis like these, though, would be really nice if you were posting them more frequently and did a more detailed analysis, like, in this post, you could have specified how much blocks(or even pixels) the rolling cutter goes in each direction, it would be a very useful piece of information to some level designers, including me
Music changer for 1.6 or devs gae
(Still made the Scloof™ Turret)

Kun fu Cuts Man
Discord: https://discord.gg/d8PdzqX | Kun fu Cuts Man#6955

Post by Kun fu Cuts Man » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 pm

For those who want to keep in mind R. Cutter when making their levels:
  1. The Rolling Cutter does multiple damage, like D-Man said, it´s mostly noticible on large enemies, if an enemy is 6 blocks away from the player, it will be damaged more due to this being the point the the cutter returns, effectively where it stays more in the same place. Use that to your advantage when fighting at at medium distance.
  2. The Cutter will return only when it has passed those 6 blocks, then will return to you no matter what. When the cutter returns to you it follows the path that will go straight to you, this means that if you jump (for example) after the weapon returns, the damage area will increase the damage and will act like a slow knight crush, allowing to defeat those enemies who escaped your cutting terror (and saving you from a hit too).
How do I know this? Imagine making 18 levels where your main weapon is THE R. CUTTER. 6.5 levels done.
ImageImage
Does this count?

About my fangame, I made a new server and all the things related to it have been relocated there, join here

TrashMan69

Post by TrashMan69 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Huh, how convenient, i'm just starting on making a level where rolling cutter will be a primary weapon at one point, this'll be quite useful.
Trash Tower Stages:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8438

Currently stuck in a dimensional rift, yeah dont ask..

6/10/19 The Day Light Was Cast onto the Shad0ws

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:24 am

TheCreativeEye wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm
I like weapon analysis like these, though, would be really nice if you were posting them more frequently and did a more detailed analysis, like, in this post, you could have specified how much blocks(or even pixels) the rolling cutter goes in each direction, it would be a very useful piece of information to some level designers, including me
Yeah, I could post these say, every 3-4 days? I'm just now starting to get the hang of making gifs, and this post was mainly me testing to see if ScreenToGif worked or not. Anyways, the next post will be on a MM2 weapon, and will be much more in depth.
Levels:
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Forget something:
- Before I could not do double damage in front and behind, first resolved with enemies and then with bosses.
-Can destroy Screw bombers and Octopus bateries in one fell swoop, even if life is greater than the power.
-It's cut type.

TheCreativeEye
Discord: TheCreativeEye#0160

Post by TheCreativeEye » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 pm

14Protoman wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Forget something:
- Before I could not do double damage in front and behind, first resolved with enemies and then with bosses.
-Can destroy Screw bombers and Octopus bateries in one fell swoop, even if life is greater than the power.
-It's cut type.
These aren't really necessary, especially the last one
Music changer for 1.6 or devs gae
(Still made the Scloof™ Turret)

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 pm

TheCreativeEye wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:52 pm
14Protoman wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm
Forget something:
-It's cut type.
These aren't really necessary, especially the last one
I should probably elaborate more on the "Types" part of my analyses.
The only "elemental" types I take into account are Fire, Ice, Electric, and Water, as these types of weapons have special interactions with specific objects, and are shared between them all. The other type classifications I use mainly describe how the weapon is fired, and how it behaves. I'll list them here:
  • Shooting: Fired from the character's arm cannon, and can be used while walking.
  • Throwing: Thrown from the character's hand. Using it on the ground stops the player from moving sideways briefly.
  • Screen-Wide: Like it sounds, a weapon that affects all enemies/objects on the screen upon use.
  • Shield: A weapon that is equipped on the character, typically in the form of orbiting objects, that protects them from projectiles (with some exceptions) and can be used to attack from any direction.
  • Melee: A weapon that requires the character to be at close range and/or make direct contact with the enemy.
  • Crawling: A weapon that travels across solid terrain. Some can even climb up walls.
  • Remote Controlled: Weapons whose trajectory can be changed using directional buttons.
  • Utility: Weapons whose primary or secondary function is to help the player outside of defeating enemies, usually for platforming.
  • Homing: Weapons that aim themselves.
  • Boomerang: A limited range weapon that comes back to the player.
  • Explosive: Weapons that go boom when they touch something or reach the end of their fuse. We have a lot.
  • Charged: Weapons that can be charged for extra damage and/or effects.
  • Split: A weapon involving a main projectile that splits into multiple different projectiles. We currently have none.
  • Other: A weapon that is difficult to describe using the previous categories. Power Stone is one example.
Last edited by D-Man on Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levels:
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Metal blade cuts it for me, and it S L I C C I C E
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:21 am

The Rolling Cutter analysis has been updated with new gifs (via Imgur), as well as some new information supplied by readers like you.
Levels:
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)