Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
D-Man

Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Post by D-Man » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

In an attempt to understand how to utilize this game's weapons to their fullest extent, I've decided to start a series of posts analyzing each of them in depth. If it goes well, I plan to do this once a week.
Rolling Cutter - From MM1
Capacity: 28 units Power: 2 units per hit Type: Throwing
Obtained from Cut Man, the Rolling Cutter is most likely the first special weapon the player obtains in its game. It allows the player to hurl a scissor-shaped blade in an arc, letting it reach higher than the standard Buster. The Cutter deals damage both when going out as well as when it comes back, potentially leading to high damage output, though this is more effective on larger enemies. Additionally, it can destroy the otherwise indestructible Spines.
https://media.giphy.com/media/VbKgcYpUf ... /giphy.gif
However, the weapon is not without it's flaws. The Cutter travels slower than the Buster, and only one can be on the screen at a time. Furthermore, firing it while on the ground stops the player briefly, due to being a throwing weapon.
In MMM, the Rolling Cutter is mostly unchanged, though there is now some applicability for puzzles due to the inclusion of Weapon Blocks and new character abilities. Combined with either sliding or dashing, players can momentarily outrun their Cutter, leading it into tight spaces its normal firing trajectory cannot reach.
https://media.giphy.com/media/H3fV8pPbf ... /giphy.gif
Overall, I would consider this a good weapon, and a decent choice for your arsenal if things like Metal Blade aren't cutting it for you.
Last edited by D-Man on Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But I advise you to relax a little, or you'll die from all the stress. Well then. Adios, amigo!"

TheCreativeEye
Discord: TheCreativeEye#0160

Re: Weapon Analysis - Rolling Cutter

Post by TheCreativeEye » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm

I like weapon analysis like these, though, would be really nice if you were posting them more frequently and did a more detailed analysis, like, in this post, you could have specified how much blocks(or even pixels) the rolling cutter goes in each direction, it would be a very useful piece of information to some level designers, including me
Currently trying to find sunglasses that would fit my size...
(Still made the Scloof™ Turret)

Kun fu Cuts Man
Discord: Kun fu Cuts Man#6955

Post by Kun fu Cuts Man » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:57 pm

For those who want to keep in mind R. Cutter when making their levels:
  1. The Rolling Cutter does multiple damage, like D-Man said, it´s mostly noticible on large enemies, if an enemy is 6 blocks away from the player, it will be damaged more due to this being the point the the cutter returns, effectively where it stays more in the same place. Use that to your advantage when fighting at at medium distance.
  2. The Cutter will return only when it has passed those 6 blocks, then will return to you no matter what. When the cutter returns to you it follows the path that will go straight to you, this means that if you jump (for example) after the weapon returns, the damage area will increase the damage and will act like a slow knight crush, allowing to defeat those enemies who escaped your cutting terror (and saving you from a hit too).
How do I know this? Imagine making 18 levels where your main weapon is THE R. CUTTER. 6.5 levels done.
Does this count?

Coming soon, but you can access at the Discord Server here

TrashMan69

Post by TrashMan69 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:03 pm

Huh, how convenient, i'm just starting on making a level where rolling cutter will be a primary weapon at one point, this'll be quite useful.
Trash Tower Stages:
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stages 3-4: WIP
Special Stage: ???

6/10/19 The Day Light Was Cast onto the Shad0ws

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:24 am

TheCreativeEye wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:55 pm
I like weapon analysis like these, though, would be really nice if you were posting them more frequently and did a more detailed analysis, like, in this post, you could have specified how much blocks(or even pixels) the rolling cutter goes in each direction, it would be a very useful piece of information to some level designers, including me
Yeah, I could post these say, every 3-4 days? I'm just now starting to get the hang of making gifs, and this post was mainly me testing to see if ScreenToGif worked or not. Anyways, the next post will be on a MM2 weapon, and will be much more in depth.
"But I advise you to relax a little, or you'll die from all the stress. Well then. Adios, amigo!"