Polar Man

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
Cytra

Polar Man

Post by Cytra » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am

ID: 340349
Length: Medium
Type: Traditional
Difficulty: Hard
Apologies for the snow section. Constructive criticism is welcome.

D-Man

Re: Polar Man

Post by D-Man » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 am

Cytra wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:30 am
ID: 340349
Length: Medium
Type: Traditional
Difficulty: Hard
Apologies for the snow section. Constructive criticism is welcome.
The images aren't showing up correctly. The share links don't have a .png at the end like they usually are supposed to.

As for the level itself, I really thought there should be a checkpoint at the beginning of the rain & snow segment. Since it is the part where the player is expected to lose many lives, having a checkpoint at the start would allow them to try again sooner, rather than go through the previous 15 screens over and over again. This part of the level is a large difficulty spike compared to what came before it, so retooling the segment to be less punishing could help. Everything after that was not as interesting, as it is mostly a straight path forward with very little to threaten you. If there's one good thing to say, it's that the three special weapons you chose all came in handy at some points during the level. I never knew until now that Time Slow could be used to ignore the effects of rain.
So, while this level was not very good, there is some potential to make something better in the future. At least it wasn't as bad as my snow level.
Waiting for King Knight and The Delicious Last Course (and 1.6).
Levels:
Darkness Crypt - Megaman (339203)
Excitement Emporium - Megaman (339627)
Trinitro Towers - Megaman (344128)
Cascade Pipeway - Megaman (349271)
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

Cytra

Post by Cytra » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm

Thank you for your feedback!

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:04 pm

One of the best levels I've played! Such a good array of challenges, good weapon balancing, and overall fun and satisfying. I don't like slide-jumping for rewards and the second room with rain, but that's really it. 93/100
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:15 pm

I stopped at the rain section because of poor rain introduction and no checkpoint.

It was a bad level overall, with bland enemy placement and terrible aestetics.
Tired of Internet

Slope_Man

Post by Slope_Man » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Your main problem is you don't know when and where to stop.

The level features a mostly adequate and interesting layout, mostly adequate enemy placement although weirdly a lack of variety over it's what, 40 screen duration? Therein lies the main problem, btw. Your level is double the length of a regular MM level and does less with more. Some screens make me think you understand flow very well, they play very nicely, are enjoyable, the level 'gets going' at that point. It gains momentum. Although most of these screens are somewhat lacking in challenge, so they also feel a bit throwaway. Not having so many but at crucial points in the level would enhance their worth.

However, nobody but apparantly two people will ever finish it, because you put every 'big chance of insta death' rain and ice section in near the end of the first half. It's likely to not be prepared and die there. These are not 'easy jumps. And then you throw like 5 in a row of those. And then with cannons. And then yoku blocks. Why would anyone still bother after dying there? You have to grind through the easier, overly long parts to get to the part that slaps you into the pit. After 3 tries I played most of it in the editor, and it was still too much.

Imagine if Tornado man had every magnet section, and every rain section, all back to back. And the section themselves are stretched out. And yet it took 15 screens to get to that part. That's what you're doing here.

If you could pick out 20-30 screens, make them flow together, and put sections in a sensible, balanced place, thinking about your midway (it is fine to put say, the yoku rain section as the final screens. But don't have 10 easy screens in between), you'd have a pretty cool level.